Don’t eat the toothpaste!

Last evening we sent the kids to bed. Calvin was being especially quiet. Charity went to check on them and found a half eaten tube of Toothpaste with Fluoride in Calvin’s bed. We didn’t think too much of it at the time. We took it and off to bed he went. Then 2:00 am hit. Charity heard Calvin screaming. She checked on him. I was awoken a couple of minutes later. Calvin was vomiting (emesis according to the doctor). It was pretty crazy. His stomach was going nuts! We felt terrible for him. I think he was more scared than anything. Charity (who is much quicker than I) placed 2 and 2 together and figured out that it was from the toothpaste he ate. We figured he got it all out of his system so he should be fine. He slept fine the rest of the evening.

In the morning we had a doctor appointment for Oliver. While there we mentioned it to the Doctor. She had a nurse call the Poison Control Center. We had to call them back when we got home to give them specifics about the toothpaste to see if he had a toxic level of the fluoride in him. He didn’t, luckily. She said to give him some Milk so it binds to the fluoride and his body doesn’t absorb it.

I remember being told not to eat the toothpaste, but never really thought too much about it. I guess there is something to that. I know it’s the fluoride that was in it that was the real problem but still, don’t eat the toothpaste!

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply